With Earth Day on April 22nd, many people regard April as
"Green Month," a time when individuals and companies take action to
protect the environment.
Going green not only saves the
environment, but it allows businesses to cut costs and save on energy
expenses, which can ultimately benefit your bottom line.
For some recycling tips, the BBB has put together a lst of
Top Ten Recycling Tips for Businesses.
1. Rather than
throwing papers in the thrash, try shredding them instead. Select a shredding
company that recycles these documents. You will not only save the
environment, but also protect your business from identity theft.
2. Reuse paper as scratch paper, if possible.
3. Distribute memos via e-mail rather than printing them.
4. Recycle any empty ink and toner cartridges.
5. Conserve electricity by switching off lights when staff
leaves for the day or when rooms are unoccupied.
6. Encourage employees to bring their own plates, coffee
cups, etc rather than supplying paper plates or styrofoam cups for them.
7. Give employees the opportunity to recycle food-related
items such as drinks using plastic bottles or aluminum cans.
8. Review the FTC's Green Guide to ensure that any "green
claims" in your company's advertisements follow their rules and
9. Don't forget you can also recycle used electronic
devices (computers, phones, etc.), but make sure they are emptied of all data
before you recycle.
10. Inform staff members of your recycling plan, so
everyone is aware and can participate.